Are you still here?
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I know I’ve been away for a while. I can explain.
Things got a little bit hectic as we were heading into the holiday season so I made the executive decision to take a break from this blog. Not that I don’t love it, but I just couldn’t keep up with everything. Things will still be busy through January, as I’m moving apartments in a few weeks and it’s a pretty busy month for my job. At any rate, I’m hoping to come back to this here blog with a vengeance in February. I don’t have an actual date in mind yet but know that I’m going to sporadically be coming in and out of this forum for the next month or so until I get back into a schedule.
The interesting thing is that I’ve actually been making a ton of new-to-me recipes over the past few months. I’ve just not been photographing and posting them here. So I have quite a few recipes that I need to re-make and take photos of so that I can show you!
Also by the way - Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year! Please know that I’m wishing you and your family and friends the best! I’m so happy you’re (still) here. And I hope you stick around a bit more. Here is a slow cooker recipe for you, as we try to ease into the New Year and out of our busy Christmas/Holiday season. This seems like a very appropriate recipe with which to start of 2019!
Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
makes 6-8 servings
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon water
4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
scallions, thinly sliced for garnish, if desired
1) Season the chicken with black pepper on both sides. Place the chicken pieces in the slow cooker in a single layer.
2) In a small bowl, use a whisk to combine the soy sauce, honey, tomato paste, rice wine vinegar, garlic, garlic powder, ginger, water, sesame oil, onion powder, and chili sauce. Pour the mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
3) Set the slow cooker to Low and cook until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 2 hours.
4) Move the chicken to a cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken breasts into smaller pieces. Set aside.
5) In another small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water until dissolved. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 20 minutes on High, or until the sauce has thickened a bit.
6) Add the chicken pieces back into the slow cooker and toss to coat the meat with the sauce.
7) Serve warm, and garnished with sesame seeds and scallions if desired.
—recipe slightly adapted from Tracy’s Culinary Adventures