Happy Merry Christmas Eve!
I know we're all in the middle of eating Christmas cookies, drinking egg nog (spiked, of course!), and singing carols. But, contrary to popular belief, we cannot live on these things alone. Hence, I'm bringing you some soup. Who's in on this with me?
In case you're still hesitating, let me tell you that sriracha and blue cheese are involved in this situation. Get you some soup bowls and sit down. Now dig in.
Spicy Tomato & Blue Cheese Soup
very slightly adapted from a Michael Symon recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 28 oz (1 can) San Marzano tomatoes with their juice
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Greek yogurt (optional)
1) Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and a three-fingered pinch of salt and sweat for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sweat for 2 more minutes.
2) Add the tomatoes, their juice, and the stock and bring to a simmer.
3) Pour in the cream, sriracha, and oregano and simmer for 10 to 25 minutes.
4) Sprinkle in the blue cheese.
5) Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. You can also pour the soup into a blender if you don't have an immersion blender. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
6) Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt if desired.