Happy New Years everyone! I'm wishing you all the best for 2015! Now on to the food. It's not time for our New Year's resolutions yet, right?
This recipe is quite different from those that I usually post. I really try to make as much of my recipes from scratch when possible. I really try to refrain from using processed foods and the like if I can. However! Sometimes exceptions must be made!
Let's also be clear that I have nothing against processed food. In fact, I may have visited McDonald's twice in one day this past Sunday. I know, I know! Long story short, I was hungover from attending a Steelers game (AFC North Champions!) and then celebrating until 2am. Who do I think I am cavorting until the wee hours of the morning?!?! Of course, this was followed by an 8am work call the next day...which was followed by a 6 hour drive back to Hoboken. Sooo, in this case, I made a few concessions.
Anyhow, I've had a box of macaroni and cheese sitting in my cupboard for a few months. Since I was in my never-ending clean-out-the-pantry mode, I decided I'd better make something with it before it expires. I absolutely hate throwing away food so I knew something needed to be done. I recalled that Shutterbean had posted a few of her variations on boxed macaroni and cheese a few months ago, so I quickly flipped to that recipe post to check out my options. If I have to use boxed mac and cheese, I may as well do it in style!
Broccoli & Cheddar Mac & Cheese
- 1 box prepared cheddar macaroni and cheese, such as Annie's or Kraft's (including flavor packet, 4 tablespoons butter, 1/4 cup milk or Greek yogurt)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup + 2 teaspoons sharp cheddar, shredded
1) Cook the pasta according to the package directions. With ~4 minutes of cooking time left, toss in the broccoli florets.
2) Drain the pasta and broccoli, then pour everything back into the pot.
3) Stir together the flavor packet, butter, milk or yogurt, and the extra cheddar cheese. Serve warm.