There's nothing quite like noshing on corn and zucchini in the summer. I'm pretty sure it's because they're in season and both so refreshing. Every year I live for these vegetables during these months!
Let's also point out how excited I am to NOT bake anything in the kitchen once again. I actually did bake something for you guys the other day, but I just finished up my vacation in the Bahamas and it was so scorching hot that I have a hard time even LOOKING at anything that was baked right now.
Instead, I have a cool and tasty salad for you. This is something you can take to a picnic or just eat by yourself while lounging on your couch watching reruns of Law & Order:SVU. (That show's still a thing, right? It's not just me?) I played on the idea of mixing together quinoa and elotes (Mexican street corn). We jazzed things up with some zucchini, feta cheese, and just a touch of jalapeno, mostly because we can. Let's get at it!
Corn and Zucchini Quinoa Salad
adapted from Closet Cooking
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water and/or chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 cups corn kernels (about 1-2 ears of corn)
- 1/2 zucchini, diced
- 1/4 - 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice (~1 lemons or limes)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 3 green onions, sliced
- salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste
1) Bring broth or water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is fully cooked through and has absorbed the liquid, about 15 minutes.
2) Remove the pot from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, covered.
3) In the meantime, melt the butter in a medium sized pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn kernels and zucchini.
4) Toss the vegetables to coat in the butter. Allow the vegetables to sit in the pan so that they char evenly. Toss periodically so the vegetables can char on all sides. This process can take about 15 minutes.
5) Once the vegetables and quinoa are done, mix them as well as all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss to incorporate the ingredients completely. Serve warm or room temperature.