I'm having some issues with my Halloween candy consumption. As in, the consumption is REAL! I purchased two bags of mini M&M's last week for my coworkers. I'm not exactly sure they were even aware I had them, as they seem to have disappeared rather quickly. Into my mouth. Sad, but true. Fries have also been a bit of an obsession over the past few days.
Send help please.
I needed a distraction. This is a non-candy- / non-fry-based distraction. Tacos! More specifically, taco bowls, because ain't no one got time to go out and purchase tortillas. Also known as "Good grief, I forgot to buy tortillas and I'm too lazy to go out and get some." Soooo....when in doubt, add rice. Or quinoa. Or pasta. Do you.
I don't need an excuse to pull out my slow cooker. But if you do, here are two: During the summer, it's "too hot" to use the oven, and during the winter, it's "perfect weather for a stew (or insert your fave slow cooker recipe here)". So there you have it. The only reasons you will need.
I wanted to make these tacos with chicken since I usually get in the rut of using tougher meats in my slow cooker. Gotta switch it up! I used chickpeas in the recipe because I'm less than enthused about any other type of bean, with the notable exception of edamame/soy beans. This was a really quick recipe to throw together. It could even be referred to as a "weeknight dinner", it's that quick to make. I'm a fan of this and can't wait to make it again. Maybe with beef next time? I'm living dangerously now!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Taco Bowls
slightly adapted from Foodie With Family
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or pressed (or ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- bell peppers for serving, diced, optional
- cheese for serving, optional
- green onions for serving, sliced, optional
- avocado for serving, chopped, optional
- white or brown rice for serving
1) Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes and place them in the slow cooker. Pour in the barbecue sauce and add the garlic and chili powder.
2) Place the lid on top and cook everything on High for 2 hours, or Low for 4 hours.
3) Once the chicken has cooked through, stir in the garbanzo beans and corn.
4) Allow to cook on High for 30 minutes, or until the beans and corn are warmed.
5) To serve, spoon the slow cooker chicken mixture over a serving of rice. Top with desired ingredients. (I chose avocado, bell peppers, and green onions!). Serve warm!