The first thing you may notice is that the dish in the picture above is not in a skillet.
I can explain.
It all started out in a skillet. But apparently this dish is larger than life! Or really just larger than my largest saucepan. Sooo...into a casserole pan she went. "Make it work." I think Tim Gunn says that. It's true. I don't show all the behind the scenes OMG moments but I can typically rescue a dish one way or the other. In this case, the fix was an easy one. I'm so glad I was able to make this work.
This recipe was courtesy of this month's Secret Recipe Club, where I found myself paired up with the 2 Cookin' Mamas blog! The premise behind this blog is that Linda, who lives in FL, and her daughter Christina, who lives in Atlanta, have joined forces to bring their readers quick and healthy meals (with an indulgence here and there!). I share their same philosophy, although I sort of got there in a roundabout way. Their blog is chock full of delicious goodies and I had the hardest time choosing what to make. The crockpot ropa vieja and the Italian spaghetti squash were high up on my list of recipes to try, but I was truly won over by the Chicken & Tortellini recipe. Who doesn't love cheese and pasta and more cheese! No one. No one doesn't love it. This recipe was amazing and easily made it into my lunch rotation last week.
Also, fun fact bonus time! 2 Cookin' Mamas had my blog last month for the Secret Recipe Club and they made my Chicken Tinga recipe and completely nailed it! Thanks so much for the love!
Chicken & Tortellini Skillet
slightly adapted from 2 Cookin' Mamas
makes 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red (or yellow) bell pepper, chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cubed and seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini (or your favorite kind)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Pour the oil into a large oven-proof saucepan or skillet, over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and peppers for a few minutes, or until they are golden brown.
3) Turn the heat down to medium. Pour in the tomatoes, along with their juices. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
4) Add in the seasoned chicken and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes.
5) Add in all the remaining ingredients, except for the cheese. (If your skillet cannot hold everything, transfer the contents to a heat-proof bowl before adding the remaining ingredients.)
6) Place the skillet in the oven. (If your skillet isn't large enough, use cooking spray to coat a large baking dish. Pour the ingredients into the dish before placing in the oven.)
7) Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
8) Sprinkle the cheese on top of the dish and bake for another 10 minutes.
9) Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve hot or warm.