Ahhh I'm back in N'awlins! I spent the Christmas holidays here with my family and let me tell you that we have been keeping ourselves quite busy. We have seen the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, walked countless times around the French Quarter, had drinks at the oldest bar in America (allegedly), and of course we've stuffed our faces with so. much. food!
Shrimp & grits, crawfish etouffee, caramel bread puddings, crawfish mac and cheese, gumbo, crab bisque, jambalaya, and shrimp toasts are only the tip of the iceberg of our meals this week. All I'm saying is that I may still be stuffed for a week after leaving this city.
In preparation for our trip here, I couldn't help but make a creole dish. I like to think of this as "research". Let me tell you: This was some pretty good research. I may need to do even more research upon my return.
Suffice it to say that this dish was incredible. I don't like to throw words around like "perfection", but sometimes you just have to do it. I'm also a fan of this meal because I threw it all in the slow cooker and then, magically, it was all cooked and ready to get in my belly a few hours later!
Slow Cooker Creole Chicken & Sausage
very slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces Andouille sausage, cut into small rounds
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bell peppers, any color, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- salt & pepper to taste
- rice for serving
- sliced green onions for topping
1) Place all ingredients in the list up to the cayenne. Cover the slow cooker and cool on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3 hours.
2) Use two forks or tongs to shred the chicken while still in the slow cooker.
3) Add in the bell peppers and garbanzo beans. Cook for another 20-30 minutes, or until heated through. If necessary, add salt and pepper to taste.
4) You can choose to stir in the rice at this point, if desired. Otherwise, you can add the rice to the serving dishes and pour the chicken and sausage on top. Sprinkle with green onions.