I am gearing up for the summer. I mean, I know it's not here yet, but really, can a girl dream?
In other news, I'm bouncing back from all the junk food I ate at Disneyworld last weekend. Would it kill them to serve a decent salad at a place where I don't have to wait 3 hours to order it? Come on Walt. Let's pull it together.
I saw this recipe and knew it would be the perfect rebound food. This also satisfies my constant cravings for chickpeas and fresh corn. My summer body is in need of something like this. It's telling me that we need to make it happen, and I'm listening.
Easy Chickpea Salad
slightly adapted from How Sweet Eats
- 3 cups chickpeas (or 2 (15-ounce) cans, drained and rinsed)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 small ears fresh corn, raw, cut from the cob
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
1) In a large bowl, stir together the chickpeas, onions, corn, tomatoes, basil and chives.
2) Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss everything until evenly incorporated.
3) In a small pan over low heat, combine the oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, lime juice, and zest. Whisk the mixture together until warmed.
4) Pour the dressing over the chickpea salad, then stir to coat all the vegetables.
5) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve by itself or in a pita.