I really want to be so ready for Cinco de Mayo, but truly, I'm not. My taco and nacho game are not on point. I'm so sorry!
But but but... If you invite me to your party, I can redeem myself and bring you this fresh-to-death Strawberry Basil Lemonade. Not only does it allow me to add basil, which is pretty much my spirit herb, but it's an amazingly tasty beverage. I would sincerely recommend adding a little (or a lot of) tequila in there to jazz things up if you dare. Could you say "No" to a party guest like me? Didn't think so.
If a Cinco de Mayo party isn't your jam, you could enjoy this lemonade straight up, with no liquid courage added. It's still a unique combination of flavors that remind me of those summer days which are allegedly approaching. Never fear. I don't actually need an excuse to put strawberries, lemon, and basil in all the things and then guzzle it down! I dare you to try it too.
Strawberry Basil Lemonade
from Damn Delicious
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
1) Place the strawberries and basil in a blender. Puree until smooth.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and the sugar, until the sugar is dissolved.
3) Combine the strawberry and lemon mixtures in a large pitcher. Whisk until incorporated. Stir in the water.
4) Serve chilled. Pour over ice if desired.