Bagels are a gateway drug for me. I feel as if once I have one, I've been given license to carb up for the rest of the day. This could be a bad decision, even if it's a delicious one.
This month's Secret Recipe Club really hit me hard in that carb category. Granted, I do have the final choice as to what to make, but seriously, how could I not choose this option from Famished Fish? If you haven't checked out Saundra's blog, you're missing out. You should head on over and take a look if you don't believe me. If you do believe me, then you're probably also bookmarking recipes like Pineapple Fritter Donuts, Chocolate Churrovers, and Buffalo Hot Wing Popcorn. I can't say I blame you.
When I saw this though, I knew I had found THE recipe. I'd never had a bagel french toast casserole before, but I don't mind if I do. This combination of the crispy bagel, creamy cheddar, and tangy cream cheese was the best decision I made that day. Do not sleep on this recipe because you need it in your life.
Bagel & Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole
from Famished Fish
- 3 everything bagels
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or any type you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- butter or nonstick cooking spray
Note: You can make this dish at least 2 hours ahead of time and refrigerate it until you're ready to bake it.
1) Prepare a casserole dish by greasing it with butter or spraying with cooking spray.
2) Tear the bagels into small pieces and place in an even layer in the casserole dish.
3) In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, and seasonings.
4) Pour the mixture over the bagels in the casserole pan.
5) Place the chunks of cream cheese on top of the bagel pieces
6) Sprinkle the entire casserole with the cheese. Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
7) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the covered casserole for 40-45 minutes.
8) Remove the foil and continue baking the casserole for another 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
9) Cool the casserole for 15 minutes.
10) Top with chives before serving. Serve warm.