Summer and BBQ's are pretty synonymous with each other. While I absolutely love barbecued meat, the only way I'm ever going to be able to grill at my place is to set up on the fire escape. I think the local police frown on that, and seeing as the station is a mere 3 blocks away, I'll take a pass.
What I CAN still do, though, is break out my beloved crockpot to help me out. I've finally taken a break from using my oven this summer and I've returned to my slow cooking ways. At least for now. Next week I'll want to braise something in the oven for 3 hours. It's inevitable.
The perfect thing about this barbecued beef is that I can do so much with it! Want a sandwich? BBQ Beef Sandwich. Need a topping for a salad? Here's your BBQ Beef salad. Looking for a quick meal? Throw some BBQ Beef on top of mashed potatoes and dig in.
Crockpot BBQ Beef
very slightly adapted from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- 2 1/2 lbs beef chuck roast (or you can use cross rib roast), trimmed of excess fat
- Equal parts: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika
- 1/2 equal parts: black pepper, kosher salt, crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup BBQ sauce + more for serving
1) Pull out a long piece of foil that will be able to wrap around your roast. Place the roast in the center of the foil.
2) In a small bowl, mix together the pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Season the roast on all sides with the seasonings.
3) Wrap up the roast tightly in the foil. Use another large piece of foil to wrap around the roast securely. Optional: Place in fridge and let sit overnight. If you don't have the time, place the meat in foil in the bottom your slow cooker. Do not add any liquid.
4) Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6-10 hours. (I cooked my roast for about 8 hours.)
5) Pull the foil package out of the slow cooker. Be careful. It will be HOT. There will be liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker. Keep this liquid.
6) Remove the foil surrounding the meat. Shred the meat using two forks. Place the meat back into the slow cooker.
6) Add in the barbecue sauce. Add more seasonings at this time, if desired.
7) Cover again and cook on Low for another 15-30 minutes. Serve hot.