Could we just talk about this crustless quiche realllll quick? OK, it may not be that quick, but really. I am basically eating my feelings right now because my feelings are made up of corn, mushroom, and quiche. And don't forget the cheese, please.
This quiche is brought to you by my monthly Secret Recipe Club assignment. This month I had the pleasure of being assigned Maxine's blog with the most hilarious blog name I have seen in a while: Why I Am Not Skinny. I definitely had a chuckle when I opened up my assignment email. (Side note: do people still chuckle? I do. I think.) But seriously, does it get any better than this name? No, it does not. The lady is just telling it like it is.
Maxine is from South Africa and is now living with her husband in Brussels. I would like to visit both of those places someday, but if I can't be there, at the very least I can still make this dish. Maxine mentioned that a savory tart in South Africa is very similar to a crustless quiche. I like your style South Africa. I think we would get along well.
I didn't mess around with Maxine's recipe much since I am a fan of all the ingredients, but she mentions that you can add meat if you would like. Bacon and ham are at the top of her list. Bacon would definitely be at the top of mine. Can't ever have too much. Why I Am Not Skinny is chock full of other goodies and I was so so close to making the Chili Con Carne or the Banana & Chocolate French Toast recipes. I ended up not having all the ingredients on hand to make the chili and as for the french toast, I had already made something similar that I plan to post on the blog very soon, so that was also nixed. But I know I still chose a winner in this quiche. Maxine can plan my meals any day!
Crustless Cheese, Corn & Mushroom Savory Tart
from Why I Am Not Skinny
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs OR 2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs (I used rosemary, basil, and oregano)
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels removed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
- black pepper
- dash red pepper flakes (optional)
1) Grease a medium sized casserole dish. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Add a pat of butter to a large saucepan, over medium heat. Stir in the onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
3) Add in the mushrooms and saute lightly for 3 minutes.
4) Sprinkle in the herbs, black pepper, and corn. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
5) Pour the mix into the bottom of the casserole dish.
6) In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and flour. Pour this mixture over the vegetables.
7) Sprinkle the cheese on top of everything.
8) Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until set and the cheese is a golden brown.