Another month, another Secret Recipe Club post! It's May! How did we get here already? I'm not a fan of this "time travel" thing we seem to be doing. Something I AM looking forward to, however, is the warmer months. Let's move it along Winter. Let's allow Spring to have a few weeks so we can smoothly usher in Summer. I need to come out of hibernation soon!
As I'm trying to move this process along, I figured I'd see if making a summer-y quick bread would help Mother Nature out. Makes sense, right? Please say yes. Yes.
I was paired up with Renee from Renee's Kitchen Adventures this month. Renee and I both love cooking and baking, though she has been doing it since she was a teenager and I've been doing it for only the past 8 years or so. Renee has been on a quest to serve healthy and delicious dishes to her family. Over the past few years I've come to feel the same way. However, this blog DID start out as a cupcakes blog, so let's just say that I come from "humble beginnings". And you will definitely find desserts scattered among my recipes because I am in a long-term relationship with sugar.
Several of Renee's recipes stood out to me: Crockpot Chicken Chili (I don't care if it's not crockpot weather!), Fresh Apple Cinnamon Quick Bread (I love quick breads and cannot get enough), Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (chocolate and pumpkin - I want!), Peanut Butter & Banana Streusel Muffins (have I mentioned how much I love muffins?). The Spiced Pear Quick Bread eventually won out above all the other choices mostly because I wanted to incorporate a summer fruit into the mix. Mother Nature needs a gently nudge! Thanks so much for the recipe Renee!
Spiced Pear Quick Bread
from Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- 2 - 15 ounce cans of sliced pears, in juice, drained and roughly mashed
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a standard 5"x9"loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together the mashed pears, sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk. Mix only until incorporated. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4) Clear a space in the center of the bowl of dry ingredients and pour in the pear mixture. Fold the wet and dry ingredients together until just blended.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth the batter on top.
6) Bake in the oven for 60 - 70 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn the bread out and cool completely on a wire rack before serving.