Remember how I was growing my own basil and how well it was going? Well, friends, I'm sorry to say that my basil is definitely not looking its best. In fact, some may say that it's mostly dead. I'm holding out hope that it'll spring back. I think it's been struggling due to the intense humidity we've faced for the past few weeks. I also may have been over-watering it a tad. I've cut back on my heavy-handedness with the H2O and the weather has been cooling down a bit so I'm seeing some promising signs that the basil may spring back to life. Crossing my fingers and praying to the basil gods that the fight isn't over yet!
I wish I could have used my own home-grown basil to whip up a batch of pesto for this recipe, but it wasn't meant to be. All the same, I have to say that this is one of my favorite pizzas ever. I know that's a strong statement, but this combination of chicken, pesto, and corn, topped with an abundance of mozzarella cheese will not be ignored! Can I eat this pizza for the rest of my life? I dare you to not enjoy this!
Chicken Pesto Pizza
makes 1 pizza, or 6-8 servings
- 1 ball pizza dough, ~13 ounces
- 1 lb chicken breast
- adobo seasoning, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- extra basil leaves for topping and serving
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2) Season the chicken on both sides with adobo seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
3) Roast the chicken on a greased baking sheet for 15 minutes, or until chicken is almost cooked through.
4) Remove the chicken from the baking sheet and allow to cool. Once cooled, cut up into small cubes and set aside.
5) Turn the oven to 425 degrees F.
6) Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper, or greasing with butter or cooking spray. Spread the pizza dough out onto the baking sheet.
7) Spread the pesto onto the dough, taking care to leave a 1" border around the edge of the pizza.
8) Place the mozzarella slices on top of the pesto.
9) Sprinkle the chicken and the corn on top of the mozzarella slices.
10) Top with the shredded mozzarella and extra black pepper, if desired.
11) Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
12) Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with sliced basil leaves if using. Slice pizza into slices or squares and serve warm.