It's the summer months and I've been seeing this vegetable errywhere! My favorite thing about it is how versatile it is to cook or bake with (I'm looking at you, Zucchini Banana Bread!). I had some leftover zucchini the other day and decided that this would be the perfect side/snack to make with it. Can we also not forget how tasty lemon and garlic is with anything? Never forget!
In case it isn't obvious from my pictures below, I didn't exactly "grill" this zucchini. You could say that I've taken a few liberties with my wording. I don't have a grill pan and I'm most definitely not able to properly grill a thing in my 4th floor apartment. The fire escape is, unfortunately, not an option. So, what do we do? Grab a frying pan and "grill" to your heart's content!
Grilled Lemon Garlic Zucchini
makes 4 servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, julienned (optional)
1) In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, garlic, thyme, oregano, and lemon juice. Sprinkle in salt and pepper, to taste.
2) Using a pastry brush, brush the zucchini slices with the butter mixture.
3) Heat a frying pan (or a grill pan!) over medium heat. Place the zucchini slices in the pan in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
4) Cook until the zucchini is golden brown on both sides and the zucchini is starting to soften, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
5) Once the zucchini is done, sprinkle with the basil leaves if using. Serve immediately.
-recipe slightly adapted from Damn Delicious