I'm always looking for new ways to cook chicken. I'm not sure if I've talked about this before here, but I had this conversation with a few friends this weekend. We were checking out the menu at MichaelAngelo's in the Little Italy neighborhood in the Bronx. (Can we just talk about how cute that place is! It was the best restaurant recommendation I've received in a while!) Anyhow, the entire table agreed that we very rarely order chicken dishes when we go out to eat. We aren't chefs, but we do agree that chicken is the easiest protein to make at home, so why would we order it at a restaurant instead of something else that you wouldn't actually cook at home?
I was super excited to try out this particular recipe because I'm really into citrus right now and also, this recipe calls for beer. What is there not to love here? I used Blue Moon beer to amp up that citrus flavor, which I think ended up being a good choice. I also used a variety of spices because "can't stop, won't stop". If you're feeling creative yourself, you could switch up the spices to your liking. This recipe is pretty forgiving and easily tailored, which is great for someone like me. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Savory Citrus Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs or breasts (~2 lbs)
- 12 oz beer (I used Blue Moon)
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grainy dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- hot sauce, to taste, optional
- 1 whole orange, ends trimmed and sliced into 4 slices
1) Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour the beer on top.
2) Whisk in the honey and dijon mustard.
3) Add the spices and salt and pepper on top of chicken. Add the the hot sauce as well, if using.
4) Layer the orange slices over the chicken pieces.
5) Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
recipe adapted from Miss In The Kitchen