We fancy now, huh?
Yeah, you know. Just hanging out throwing saffron all over the place like a boss.
But really though, 5 second rule if anything drops on the floor. We're not actually living that high life.
I was very fortunate to receive a package of saffron from my coworker as a gift recently. I immediately started planning what I was going to make. In the end, I decided on saffron rice. But not just any plain old saffron rice. I wanted it to have a slight crunch as well as an added sweetness. Enter sliced almonds and golden raisins. Perfect!
I served this rice up as a side for roasted chicken breasts and it might have been the best decision ever. However, I encourage you to pair any meat (or non-meat) entree with this rice. And if you're feeling adventurous, switch up the additions of raisins and almonds to something else. (Let me know which ones you try!) There are no limits, so dig in.
Saffron Rice with Almonds & Raisins
makes 4-6 servings
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
1) Soak the saffron threads in 2 tablespoons hot water for 10 minutes.
2) In the meantime, wash and drain the rice until the water runs clear.
3) Place the rice in a medium sized pot, along with the broth, salt, and saffron threads still soaking in the water. Bring the rice mixture to a boil over high heat.
4) Once boiling, cover the pot and turn the heat to Low.
5) Allow the rice to cook on low heat, undisturbed, for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit covered for another 5 minutes.
6) Once the time is up, use a fork to fluff the rice. Fold in the almonds and raisins. Serve warm.