I cannot claim credit for this pizza, as much as I would really love to. This creation comes to you by way of Harry's Italian Pizza Bar (I did a review of Harry's a few years ago here). I didn't order this pizza on that trip, but on another recent visit to Harry's, this pizza became known to me. It was love at first bite. I immediately knew I was going to recreate this at home because I wasn't waiting for another trip to the restaurant. Plus, what else are food blogs for, if not to experiment at home!
Now, zucchini and salami are not at the forefront of my mind when I think of a perfect pizza topping combo, but I will say that they are amazing together. The zucchini is crisp and fresh while the salami is salty and chewy. These two textures and flavors combine to make a sensational pizza experience that I will be recreating every chance I get!
Zucchini Salami Pizza
- 1/2 medium zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup diced salami
- 2-4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into rounds
- 1 batch pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
Prep the zucchini:
1) Cut the zucchini into rounds. Stack the rounds, and then slice into matchsticks. Spread the matchsticks out on a layer of paper towels and sprinkle the salt over the zucchini. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
2) After the time is up, use paper towels to blot the excess water that has extruded from the zucchini.
Assemble the pizza:
3) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
4) Spread the pizza dough over the prepared baking sheet until it is the desired size.
5) Spread the basil pesto over the dough, leaving about 1" border around the edges.
6) Place the mozzarella on top of the pesto.
7) Cover the mozzarella with the zucchini matchsticks and the salami.
8) Bake the pizza for 15 - 17 minutes, or until it reaches the desired level of done-ness.
9) Remove from oven and let cool slightly. If desired, top with oregano, black pepper, and or basil before slicing and serving.