I absolutely love Mexican grilled corn, which is also called Elote. Since we're near the end of summer, corn and zucchini are absolutely everywhere. I can't go grocery shopping without seeing them and somehow being suckered into buying more. For strange reasons, I tend to go to grocery stores 2-3 times a week because I need different things from different places. Food blogger life. What this all boils down to is that I have an overabundance of produce chez moi and it needs to be used up as soon as possible!
Here's the thing, though. I don't always want to bite into corn on the cob and make my hands and face super messy. So...enter this salad situation. Yum! There is nothing quite like satisfying your food cravings without being covered head to toe in corn juice.
Mexican Grilled Corn Zucchini Salad
makes 2 - 4 servings
- 2 ears fresh corn, cleaned
- 1 large zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- olive oil, 1-2 teaspoons
- 2 green onions, trimmed and sliced into thin rounds
- 1/3 cup finely minced fresh basil, or to taste
- 3 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- about 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1) Wrap the ears of corn separately in pieces of foil. Place directly on the stove over high heat. You will hear some crackling noises as the corn grills in the foil packets. This is normal. Use tongs to rotate the ears every 1-2 minutes. Allow the corn to cook for 8-10 minutes, or longer if desired.
2) Allow the corn to cool slightly, then place on a cutting board with the tip down. Use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off the cob. Set aside in a large bowl.
3) Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the zucchini pieces and allow to grill on one side. Once browned, 1- 2 minutes, flip the zucchini to the other side and allow to cook as well. Remove the zucchini from the pan and set aside. You may need to grill the zucchini in two batches so you don't crowd the pan.
4) Place the grilled zucchini rounds on the cutting board and slice into quarters. Place these in the large bowl with the corn kernels.
5) Add the green onions and basil to the bowl as well. Set aside.
6) In a medium bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, lime juice, agave or honey, salt and pepper. Whisk the ingredients until smooth. Taste and add more or the lime juice, honey, salt, or pepper as desired.
7) Stir the Greek yogurt sauce over the corn and zucchini mixture. Stir to evenly incorporate everything. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
8) Add the crumbled goat cheese to the mixture. Gently fold the cheese into the salad. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve chilled.
-- recipe slightly adapted from Averie Cooks