I don't know about you, but I'm ready for another slow cooker recipe.
2018 was going well for me, until I caught a cold approximately 8 days into the new year. I know things could be worse, but for some reason I was a big baby with this one. I'm on the mend now, but I definitely need to make a slow cooker recipe. I need something that allows me to put everything into one pot, then sit back and relax for a few hours until dinner is DONE.
Today, we're making Chicken Teriyaki! I do enjoy chicken teriyaki, but I've never made it myself before. This looked to be the perfect opportunity to try it out. I don't think I've ever had a slow cooker recipe that has gone wrong. I'm sure I'm jinxing myself for future endeavors, but I'll take that chance.
Here, we have an easy combination of salty-sweet flavors. We do a very, very slight bit of prep on the stove beforehand, but I'll allow that. We then let the flavors marinate and cook with the chicken breasts for a few hours. Then, just like magic! We have our chicken teriyaki ready to be served up over some rice. It can't get much easier than this.
Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon room temperature water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar (could be white wine, rice wine or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.5 - 2 lbs total)
- sesame seeds and chopped scallion (optional for serving)
1) In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and the water until combined. Add the mixture to a medium saucepan, over low-medium heat.
2) Pour in the brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Bring the mixture to a simmer while whisking occasionally. Allow to come to a boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
3) Place the chicken and the onions in the slow cooker. Pour the teriyaki sauce on top. Place the slow cooker on high for 3 hours, or on low for 5 hours.
4) Once the time is done, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the meat with 2 forks. Add the meat back into the slow cooker and stir everything to combine.
5) Cook the chicken for another 1 hour on low, stirring occasionally.
6) Serve the chicken over rice or with vegetables on the side. Drizzle extra sauce over the chicken if desired.
--from Sally's Baking Addiction