I think we're doing summer now. Like, I don't know if we're going to have a spring? Maybe next week. That's how these weather patterns have been playing me recently. But, you know, we can roll with this. Don't ever let me complain about the heat again, ok? After this past winter I must learn to appreciate the warmer weather even more than I used to.
In celebration of our latest wave of "sprummer" (get it - spring and summer?) let's pull on a dress - or shorts, if you like - and make sure that we have some zucchini rice. Zucchini season is in full swing so we need to take advantage. Get thee to your local markets immediately. Once you're back, we can discuss this rice situation.
We are mixing zucchini for our health and cheese because we only live once. And let me tell you that this is delicious. I decided to use brown rice because I had some in my pantry, but you can do you and use whatever type of rice you have. Live your best life!
makes 4-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth*
- 1 1/2 cups water*
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 - 2 zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzarella would work well)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1) Over medium high heat, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
2) Add in the garlic and stir. Allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes in the pan.
3) Pour in the chicken broth and water, then add the rice. Bring the rice to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer until the rice is cooked through. This can take about 12 - 15 minutes.
4) Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the shredded zucchini and cheese.
5) Season the rice with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover the saucepan and allow the rice to stand for 3 minutes, so the cheese can melt. Serve immediately.
*Note - you can leave out the water and use only broth if you like. Similarly, you can substitute water only, if you don't want to use broth.
-- recipe adapted from Damn Delicious